Here, Have a Nerdy Past Time!

Alright, everyone, I come to you this week bearing exciting news -- especially if you are a fellow media-nerd. I have found a way in which to expend virtually no effort while similtaniously improving my media literacy! Sound too good to be true? I assure you, it's not! (Alright, I probably sound sort of like an infomercial here, but I'm still fairly geeked about it.)

The source of my newfound knowledge and glee is FreeDocumentaries.org. This website hosts about a hundred full-length documentaries, most of which provide altnernative media perspectives on exciting issues such as Cuba, Nicaragua, US interventions, democracy... You name it and they've probably got it.

Basically, I have combined this website with my extraordingary powers of facebooking, twittering, and general online time-wasting in order to create a fabulous situation of passive learning. Simply put one of these films on in the background while you browse and you'll probably learn something that will blow your mind without even having to do anything!

Here are a few of my favourites:
Next up, I have my eye on the uber-corny sounding Secrets of the CIA (though I'm sure it will be better than it sounds). It might even be good enough to warrent my full-attention and a bag of popcorn...!

Labels: ,

posted by Ashley Girty @ 3:59 PM,

2 Comments:

At March 4, 2009 at 9:23 AM, Blogger Nicole Bardawill said...

love doc's, thanks for the link! A good one is "AMANDLA!: a struggle in four part harmony" . I think that is the full title but it is about how music is used as a form of empowerment in Apartheid Africa. Cool I will check some of these out

 
At March 14, 2009 at 3:30 PM, Blogger Ashley Girty said...

neat! i actually don't know too much about apatheid or, at least, as much as i should, so i'll def check it out!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home